BEN 3.4: The Mirror Effect (spoilers) Mar 27, 2021 19:36:18 GMT
Post by Kestrel on Mar 27, 2021 19:36:18 GMT
As per usual, my highly disorganized thoughts:
- The return of Irving Braxiatel! I've waited so long for this!
- I get the sense that the writers really want Benny's catchphrase to be, "Goddess," but then they keep forgetting to keep the gendereing consistent, so she also says "God" from time to time. And it's all completely unnecessary, anyway, because we all know that Benny already has a catchphrase, right? Say it with me now: "Come on!"
- My foray into the early Bernice Summerfield audios has been quite the trip. I can't say I've listened through more than a small fraction of them so far, but good lord, I am already sick to death of these subplots that revolve around "everyone wants to fiddlesticks Benny." I typically don't look up the writers, but I'm tempted to do so here, because this feels somewhat like the result of that toxic/misogynist notion that men and women cannot have any nonromantic or nonsexual relationships.
- Also the whole rape-as-backstory thing. Yeesh. I dearly hope that whoever wrote, "I'm the one who impregnated her!" was and continues to be deeply ashamed about it. And then there was, also, "I see no reason to delay the impregnation." Jesus ffffffffffffff--
- Once again this story gestures towards a whole mess of preceding storytelling—a whole heckuva lot of context I'm totally ignorant on.
- Braxiatel says, "I am far more than they all think I am," in a delightfully badass scene, but so far the audio range has yet to really properly introduce Brax, so as far as I know he's just Benny's boss. I don't think this audio range has even explicitly stated that he's a Time Lord. So I can only wonder what he's referencing here.
- And then there was the bit where Jason mentions being trapped somewhere for thousands of years while Brax set up the Braxiatel Collection and "brainwashed" everyone else, Benny included; and the story ends with Brax hypnotizing Jason into being unable to question Brax's motives/nature/history/whatever, and on the whole I am left very confused with the whole situation.