DW MR 224 Alien Heart/Dalek Soul (Spoilers on Release) Apr 9, 2017 20:29:04 GMT via mobile
Post by brians on Apr 9, 2017 20:29:04 GMT
The Ancestor Cell is insultingly bad. Its crimes include:
1. Making Gallifrey be utterly boring - really? Spoiled rich kids?
2. Completely getting the Faction wrong - they behave nothing like how they do in other works!
3. Trying and failing to negate the War. If "Grandfather Paradox" came from the future relative to the Doctor, if he cut his arm off out of shame over destroying Gallifrey, that means that the War still happens. The fact that he cut his arm off means that the War hasn't been averted - otherwise, how is he there?
4. Somehow the TARDIS is "persevering" the Metebelis timeline - even though it naturally leads to the Dust timeline. Just. What.
5. Above all else, it's a novel that isn't skippable in the narrative unless you start with The Burning. You can understand the overall plot of the early EDAs if you skip War of the Daleks, for instance. But if you're going through the War arc, you can't skip The Ancestor Cell without being confused.
Basically...The Ancestor Cell is the Timewyrm: Genesys of the EDAs. It's something that's bad, but you can't skip it without missing something important.
Fiven what he had to achieve with it I think it was a competent job. It's not tue first time Gallifrey has been dull - look at nearly every TV story.
And I hated nearly all the Miles Faction Paradox stuff, so I have nothing against Cole for struggling to turn it back into something approaching Doctor Who.